The Stavropol State Medical Academy was founded in 1938. Nowadays, after seven decades it is the largest educational, scientific and methodical center of medicine in the North Caucasus. About 4 000 Russian and more than 600 foreign students from 27 countries of the world are trained at its four faculties: General Medicine, Paediatrics, Dentistry and Higher Nursing Education. In general, there are 7 faculties in the Academy including besides stated above, the Preparatory Course and the Postgraduate Faculty, and also the Faculty of Improvement of Professional Skills of teachers of medical schools and colleges.
Our graduates – highly skilled experts who work in different places of our country and abroad are the trademark of the Academy. Many of them head scientific research institutes, laboratories, faculties and higher schools chairs. More than 30 thousand physicians have graduated from the Academy during the years of its existence.
The Academy has a new modern scientific library, which numbers about 500 000 copies of books and periodicals; it has its own editions, the Academy newspaper «Medicus» and a scientific-practical magazine. «Pulse of Medicine».
Since 1961, our Academy has been training national medical staff for the countries of Asia, Africa and Latin America, the countries of the CIS.
Lecture-rooms, laboratories and libraries do not limit the student’s life. Academy has 4 students' hostels with 1826 places, a sports complex with a swimming pool, gyms and sauna. The Academy has its own sports camp on the Black Sea coast of the North Caucasus, where 240 people have a rest every year. In December 2004, the Ministry of Education of Russia has inspected all activity spheres of the Academy. According to the results of inspection the License (reg. # 1551 22.01.2004) and the State Accreditation Certificate (reg. # 1778 28.02.2005) were given.
Beginning with 2005 English-speaking students from abroad are taught in English what enables them to begin studies without preliminary training at the Preparatory Course.
The Stavropol State Medical Academy belongs to the 5 leading higher medical institutions of Russia and takes the 2nd place among the higher educational establishments of South Federal District. The activity of the Academy has been marked by high international award «Earthmaker» (determining the person of planet), which testifies belonging to community of world leaders of various industries, sciences, cultures and national health services.
The Academy was awarded with the Diploma and the Gold Medal as the winner of the competitions «The European Quality» in the nomination of «100 Best Higher Schools», the Kannes Silver Medal «For Dynamic Development" and the title «Flagman of XXI Century«, the Gold Medal of International Biography Center and the Gold Diploma of World Sciences International Forum.